Sunday, May 25, 2008

Maltastic!

So, since my last blog entry, I've visited Malta. Which was nice, and I have the photos to prove it.
I'll post a full review of the trip sooner or later, but let me just say that Malta isn't the most exciting country I've visited. It's so tiny that I walked across it several times, sometimes not even on purpose. This is not a bad thing in itself, but when you add four hundred thousand inhabitants to it, it gets sort of crowded. Which is not good, in my book.

I figured it might be a Gibraltar-like place. You know, a distinctly British heritage, English spoken everywhere, a piece of Northern Europe, only with palm trees. But it isn't. Instead it's a strange mix of Arab and Italian culture, and the locals don't speak much English unless it is to give directions to a silly tourist. And the names of places are so far away from English as they possibly could.

You may very well finding yourself being a silly tourist asking a local how you can get to the corner of Ix-Xatt Ta'Xbiexi and Triq Gorg Borg Olivier. Oh, and there's a dot over the g's, which means they're not really g's either. Good luck. Fortunately the country is so small that even when you go to the wrong place, you'll be quite close to where you meant to be anyway.

I'll just add that if you go there: Beware of the Kinnie! Maybe I'll explain why later, but for now, enjoy the photos!

3 comments:

mojtaba said...

hi
your pictures is very nice
i enjoy
my photo blog is a gbpic
www.gbpic.blogspot.com

Bob Hale said...

Hi.
I stumbled across your blog a month or so ago when I was looking for good travel blogs. (There are hundreds of not so good ones.) So far I've enjoyed it a lot. I just wish there was more of it. I've added you to my RSS feeds and to the blog rolls on my own travel blogs. You might want to take a look (or not, it's up to you) at my travel writing and photograph at http://thehittingtheroadagainblues.blogspot.com and http://anyonecandoit2.blogspot.com/.

If you take a look, be sure to leave a comment.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep reading.

Happy travels.

Bob Hale

Unknown said...

Great blog! Very well written and amazing photography, thanks for sharing. I love reading above the travels of others as at the moment I can't travel myself - so I'll definitely be looking in on your blog from time to time, thanks.

By the way, if you're at all interested in some reading material while jetsetting to all those exotic locales I'd definitely recommend Chasing Sunsets by Lawrence Pane. It's an amazing travel book - he and his family took off on a 6 year, real life odyssey around the world and the book is quite funny and eye opening. A great way to while away those hours at the airport and traveling.